Gerry Nailon is an accomplished business executive with extensive experience in the US, Native American and International casino/gaming, hospitality & Tribal Government sectors. He is the Founder, President & Chief Executive Officer for the business start-up, PeopleChamps, a multi-faceted boutique consulting company.
His education and work experiences provide the basis for his noted extraordinary insight into the intricate details & aspects of the high-paced gaming & hospitality business. Gerry is also a frequent Guest Speaker & the Gaming Guest Speaker Program Coordinator at the University of Massachusetts- Amherst’s prestigious Isenberg School of Business, Department of Hospitality & Tourism Management.
For over 6 years, he simultaneously held senior executive positions for Elk Valley Rancheria, California (EVR). He was responsible for all day-to-day operations, administration & development for ten tribal entities including; the Tribal Government, Elk Valley Casino (EVC), the proposed Elk Valley Resort Project & several new start-up & business expansion ventures. His many positions included:
– Chief Executive Officer, Elk Valley Rancheria, California
– Board Member, Elk Valley Rancheria Economic Development Corporation (EVREDCO)
– Chief Executive Officer, Elk Valley Rancheria Economic Development Corporation
– Board Member of the Del Norte County/Crescent City Visitors Bureau
– Alternate Delegate of Native Indian Gaming Association (NIGA)
– Alternate Delegate of California Native Indian Gaming Association (CNIGA)
– Alternate Delegate of the Border Coast Airport Authority.
During his tenure with the tribe, increased EBITDA margins were maintained despite; the economic downturn, increased market competition & the after-effects of two natural disasters (tsunami’s). As celebrated by the independent external auditor in their annual report, “This consistent stabilization of EBITDA over the three year period ranked in the Top 5% for casino performance in the country”.
He also played an instrumental role in EVR’s successful Fee-to-Trust Application to the Department of the Interior (DOI) & the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) for the purpose of taking off- reservation land into trust for the purpose of gaming. This historic event was extremely important to Indian Country as it was the first application of its kind approved by the DOI & the BIA in a decade. The process followed by EVR became known as “The Elk Valley Model”
Administratively sound & operationally strong, Gerry utilized his accomplished skill set to successfully serve in the following leadership positions:
Vice President of Business Development, Research & Development
– Worldwide Casino Consulting
Director of Employment Staffing & Recruitment & Tribal Member Mentor
– Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation/Foxwoods Resort Casino (largest US casino)
Senior Director of Operations, Director of Casino & Hotel Operations & Marketing,
Director of Table Games, Slots & Player Development
– Lady Luck Hotel Casino & Isle of Capri, Bettendorf, IA
Table Games Shift Manager/ Casino Administrator/Director of Dealers Training School & Key Pre-Opening & Opening Employee
– Station Casino Kansas City (2nd Largest US Casino)
Corporate Director of Casino Training Research & Development & Key Pre-Opening & Opening Employee
– Casino Magic Corporation, Bay St. Louis MS
– Casino Magic Porto Carras, Greece
– Casino Magic Xanthi, Greece
Regional Employee Relations & Training Manager
– Bally’s Park Place & Bally’s Grand, Atlantic City, NJ
– Golden Nugget Casino Hotel/Bally’s Grand, Atlantic City, NJ
Pit Manager, Casino Supervisor
– Hacienda Hotel & Casino, Las Vegas, NV
Gerry proudly earned a BS in Hotel Administration from the preeminent program of its kind – the University of Nevada, Las Vegas William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration. He performed his internship at the historic Caesar’s Palace Las Vegas. He also holds an AS degree in both Marketing & Casino Technology.
Gerry continued his professional development by attending the renowned Institute for the Study of Gambling & Commercial Gaming at the University of Nevada, Reno.
He was awarded Certificates in each of the following areas of study:
– Executive Development Program (EDP)
– Table Games Operations
– Slot Operations